Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Home for the Holidays: Christmas in So Cal



I'm writing this entry from the airport. I spent the weekend with my Mom and Brother in San Diego. The weather was perfect. And so was my Mom's new place. She has the most adorable craftsman-style bungalow with all the period built-ins still intact. She thrifts as much as I do but focuses on housewares. Here is a peek at her collection:




She has really good taste doesn't she? And she found most of that lovely stuff at the thrift store. I'm trying to convince her to open an Etsy shop, but she is a busy woman...





We are an ultra-secular/atheist family so we don't really go crazy at Christmas. No tree, no church, and we didn't even do a gift exchange. I saw the black Swan with my Mom and had some drinks with old friends. That's about it. Santa didn't skip me completely though;  Mom gave me the "Useful birds of North America" cards that my Grandmother collected as a child in the 30s (the illustrations are beautiful!). And my friend Pete gave me some Victorian-era photos and tintypes. I'll be scanning and sharing those as soon as I get home. OH! He also gave me some sweet yarn.

I love San Diego. It is so beautiful here, and this will always be my home town, but I can't wait to get back to cold, miserable Chicago.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...