Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My New Obsession: Side Combs


I came across a huge bag of multi-colored plastic side combs in the " ziploc-bags-full-of-random-collections-of-stuff " section of the thrift store. The combs were just hanging there, all ignored, between a bag of doll parts and another full of old phone chords and ac adapters. I'm still not sure what appealed to me about this bag of used hair accessories. Something inside me just knew I had to have them. And at a dollar a dozen what did I have to loose?

I don't argue with fate. So I took them  home and soaked them in rubbing alcohol overnight (I'm wierd not crazy). The next morning, I put one in my hair and instantly fell in love. I'm not quite sure how I lived without these things before now...




I  am so happy with my purchase. So many possibilities for cuteness.  For the look above, I added a little pink crochet trim to a blue pair (what doesn't look cuter with crochet trim?) and set my hair in rag curls for a 40s inspired 'do.

 

My crochet cuties and a small sampling of the secondhand combs that changed my life.



I think the moral of the story is: Don't be afraid of secondhand hair stuff. Almost anything can be cleaned. A secondary personal moral: I must be easily amused/inspired if a bag of plastic combs can make me so happy.

Thanks for reading,


xo
D





3 comments:

  1. that's such a great idea! you're right everything IS cuter with crochet trim, especially if it's pink and scallopped!

    and that photo is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your hair, gorgeous! Excellent DIYing on the combs, they are v cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow adorable! this is so unique. Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...