Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thrift Tips #5: Get in Where you Fit In



The hardest part of buying second hand clothing is finding the right size. You might find the perfect vintage blouse, but there is no seeing it in a small. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.  On top of that, a lot of thrift shops don't have fitting rooms. And don't even think about taking something back if it doesn't look good on you. Returns and exchanges are almost unheard of.

So what can you do?

Well, I don't usually admit this because it is slightly embarrassing but, when I go to a thrift shop that doesn't have a dressing room, I wear a long-er loose-ish skirt so I can try pants and other skirts on under neath it. I know, I know. I have no shame.

If you don't feel comfortable trying stuff on in public like a crazy lady. Don't worry. Just get to know your measurements and keep a cloth tape measure in your purse. When you see that form fitting wiggle dress, do a quick measurement of  the bust, waist and hips. You'll  have a pretty good idea weather or not it will fit.

The final option is to alter the clothing to fit you. You don't have to be a seamstress. You can have your second hand stuff professionally tailored. If you pay an extra 20-30 bucks for alterations on a pair of pants that cost 5, you still paid  less than you would for a new pair of new pants. But I don't recommend this unless you've found something that you absolutely can not live without. And remember, it's a lot easier to take things in than it is to let them out. So you should pass on stuff thats way too small.

There is a lack of size variety in vintage and second had clothing. It's sad, but true. Whatever you do don't get discouraged. The Gods of thrift will lead you to the clothes that you were meant to have. If it doesn't fit you, it simply wasn't meant to be.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty lucky. First of all, stuff is .40 a pound at our local goodwill. I'm usually out of luck of shirts (people are generally short here and I'm an unusual 5'10), but the pants and skirts fit wonderfully because people around here also tend to be a little overweight. I'm getting a lot better at judging what styles and sizes will consistently work with my body type.

    And at 40 cents a pound, I don't bother trying anything on. :P

    zanniplainjanefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome. I've done the per pound thing but I've never gotten anything rare or vintage that way. In fact I've had a hard time finding quality stuff at Goodwill lately. It might just be my area but Goodwills around her have been foucusing on newer merch trying to change the image of the thrift shop. Unfortunately, I happen to like a dingy disorganized old school shop. That's where I usually find the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog through IFB, and I'm so glad I did! I have just started thrifting again (its been about 10 years since the last time), and it's definitely changed! I am following you, you have a fantastic blog.

    xo,
    Kirstin Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following your thrift tips and I love them! Most of the shopping I do nowadays is thrifting since I'm unemployed. I definitely alter mine because there have been too many gorgeous blouses I couldn't not take home with me.
    Keep up the great blog and thrift tips

    www.glimpseofnkauj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...